Monday 12 January 2009

50's Music

The final task for the video was finding a piece of music that was free to download and for us to use. I thought this would be a simple task, as it would be like finding the images, and searching that way. I searched on google for royalty free music, but the websites that came up, had the music, except they were only samples, and to download the full track, a purchase had to be made. This was annoying as it wasn't FREE at all. Most websites had this, and it was a struggle to find any website where the music WAS free. The group decided that we wanted cheesy music, or 'lift' music that you hear in a lift, to be used, as this would match the cheesyness and quirkyness of our video, and also match the 50's style, as we were trying to recreate a 50's educational film. When I researched 50's educational films, they all had cheesy music, and I had to find a piece similar to them. When researching into 50's educational films and lift music, I found the category of music was jazz or swing. This type of music was popular in the 50's so the aim was for that. After days of researching and getting no where, I finally stumbled across a site: http://incompetech.com which I found by searching 50's swing. I found this site actually produced FREE to download music, as long as the artist was credited, which would be simple to add in the credits anyway. By searching 'Jazz', the website produced a few results, which I listened to and rated them. I came across a piece called 'Hot Swing': http://music.incompetech.com/royalty-free/Hot%20Swing.mp3 which seemed perfect to use a backing track. The only problem was that it only lasted 50 seconds, so was not long enough to cover the whole video. I sent this to Jon, and he had an idea to use the piece in the opening and ending credits as it fit perfectly.
I then listened to the other pieces on the search of 'Jazz' to find a track long enough to cover the whole of our video. I managed to find a piece called 'No Good Layabout': http://music.incompetech.com/royalty-free/NoGoodLayabout.mp3 which was the perfect length for us to use, and this was the final piece chosen to go in our video. I sent this to Jon, and it was used as the audio, but the volume of the piece would be reduced as to hear DR Colm Beeny.
I was pleased in the end with this website, as there are hardly any websites out there where music is free to download. Kevin MacLeod was credited for the music pieces.

No comments: